Prosciutto Toscano PDO, Covid Emergency Slows Growth (-16%)

Prosciutto Toscano PDO, Covid Emergency Slows Growth (-16%)

FLORENCE – After a year in numbers, even an iconic product made in Tuscany, but it is becoming more and more global, has had to deal with the pandemic.

The Tuscan Ham Dub In just a few years, it has made great strides to become one of the best selling sausages in Italy.

Also read Prosciutto Toscano Dop. Viani: So Made in Tuscany goes all over the world. And let’s say no to Nutriscore

However, 2020 must be remembered as a year with a minus sign, even if the damages, reading the data carefully, are not very exciting. According to data provided by the certification body IFCQ, in 2020 there were 299,000 salted stems, which is 16% less than in 2019, when there were 357,000 salted stems

This difference, as they know from the union, is mainly related to the health emergency caused by Covid-19: in fact, Prosciutto Toscano PDO has been affected by the significant contraction of Especially in the first months of an epidemic of cutting off the meter.

In 2020, the consumer turnover recorded by the Prosciutto Toscano PDO sector – there are 20 consortium-related companies, with 1,500 direct employees and 2,500 other workers associated with related industries – nearly € 46 million. The decrease compared to 2019, when the volume of consumer sales was around 55 million, was 16.3%.

Tuscan pork in the world

The epidemic has also affected exports PDO Important TuscanAfter a positive 2019, 2020 posted a slowdown of 10%. Of the sector’s total turnover, exports account for 15%.

READ  A galaxy of satellites transmitting electricity everywhere on Earth

Geographically, Prosciutto Toscano PDO’s sales are divided as follows: 70% European Union region and 30% Non-EU region.

The main European trading partners are Germany and the Nordic countries. An important destination is the United Kingdom, where the transitional system remained in effect until December 31, 2020: the consortium will carefully monitor the evolution of the situation, with reference to Brexit.

Regarding the non-EU region, the countries where Prosciutto Toscano PDO is the most successful are, in order, the United States, Canada, Japan, Australia and New Zealand.

Prosciutto Toscano PDO: Sales in detail

GDO, cash and carry are Prosciutto Toscano PDO’s main distribution channel: together they account for 80% of the segment’s sales volume. Small retailers make up the remaining 20%. Within the wide distribution circuit, the cutter counter accounts for 60% of Prosciutto Toscano PDO sales. The decline in the cut-off counter was partially offset by the growth of the pre-cut segment: a trend that actually started several years ago but accelerated in 2020, due to Covid-19.

More precisely, more than 3,149,000 Chinese were produced last year: the increase, compared to 2019, when production was 2,968,000 Chinese, was 6.1%. This reference has been rewarded by consumers because it is practical, safe, has high service content, and because it speeds up the buying process; The pre-cut segment growth has also benefited from the boom in e-commerce, in the case of widespread distribution.

Advertising information

Leave a Reply

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *