Kiwi found dead after suspected shark attack in Australia

Kiwi found dead after suspected shark attack in Australia

New Zealand man Duncan Crowe, pictured with his wife Tilia and son Levi, is believed to have been killed by a shark in Australia. The attached photo

A New Zealand man is found dead after a suspected shark attack during a diving trip in South Australia.

The Kiwi family of Duncan Craw says it is impossible to describe the pit a “cheerful, loving, helpful” and throbbing man will leave in the lives of those he knows.

Relatives of the 32-year-old said he moved to Australia from New Zealand at a young age before traveling recently to South Australia from his home in Warrnambool, Victoria, on a camping trip with his family.

However, while snorkeling in Port MacDonnell on a fine Thursday, his wife Taylia lost his sight.

“The exact circumstances of Duncan’s disappearance are not yet known,” the family said in a statement, “but given the recovery of a damaged wetsuit and the sight of Great White in the area on Thursday, it appears that a shark is involved.”

His remains have since been discovered.

“Duncan loved diving and accepted the risks he might encounter in the ocean. He was very lucky this time,” the statement said.

Crowe was married and had a young son named Levi.

South Australian Police Inspector Campbell Hill told local media that emergency teams were called to the scene around 5 pm last Thursday.

“We were called to the reefs outside Port McDonnell, where the family met us,” Hill told reporters.

“The man could not be located and a large-scale search began involving police officers, members of Water Operations, Air Wing, local emergency services and fisheries.

“There were also a lot of locals helping to search, stand on paddleboards and fishing boats, or stand on the beach with binoculars.”

A police helicopter later spotted a great white shark in the area that evening.

The next morning, search teams found a severely damaged wetsuit, along with other equipment that Crowe was understood to have used.

“Unfortunately, we’ve put it all together, and it sure paints a picture of a fatal shark attack,” Hill said.

Crowe disappeared just three days before his 33rd birthday.

He has been described as a hardworking and extremely dedicated operations manager at an agricultural company in Warrnambool, where he grew up after moving from New Zealand at a young age.

His family said, “When he was not working in agriculture, spending time with the family, or working around the property he bought with his wife Telia, he liked to catch up with friends and watch or play sports, including cricket at Woolsthorpe Cricket Club.”

“He was also Levi’s best father, lovely husband, and best friend of Ty, his high school sweetheart.”

“He was a cheerful, loving, and helpful son. He was a kind and kind brother to his sisters. He was a fun-loving companion, hurtful and supportive, and had a heart of gold.”

Crowe’s death comes as sharks killed eight Australians last year – the most since 1929.

It also comes as 19-year-old Kala Marlowe died at Pointeon Beach in Plenty Bay, New Zealand, earlier this month.

Leave a Reply

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *