Discover the fascinating history behind the pyramids of Egypt
The pyramids of Egypt are undoubtedly among the most famous wonders of the world. These majestic structures have stood the test of time and continue to amaze travelers around the world. But do you really know all the secrets of these symbolic monuments? In this article, we will introduce you to unknown and amazing aspects of the Egyptian pyramids.
Explore lesser-known pyramids
Most people know about the three pyramids of Giza, but did you know that there are actually more than 100 pyramids in Egypt? Here are some of the lesser-known ones worth checking out:
- Meidum pyramid: Located about 100 kilometers south of Cairo, this pyramid is the first pyramid built with smooth faces instead of steps.
- Red pyramid: It is located in Dahshur, and its name goes back to the reddish color of the limestone of which it is composed.
- Hawara Pyramid: This pyramid, built by Pharaoh Amenemhat III, is part of the funerary complex of the ancient city of Hawara.
Pyramid construction techniques are a mystery that is still debated
Despite much research, the exact methods used to build the Egyptian pyramids are still a matter of debate among experts. Here are some theories:
- Use of ramps: Some believe that spiral or linear ramps were used to move the stone blocks to their final position.
- Counterweight technology: Other theories suggest that counterweight systems were used to lift blocks through inclined columns.
- Transportation on water: It is also possible that the Egyptians moved the blocks over water and dug canals to the construction sites.
Recent and exciting discoveries
In recent years, archaeologists have made amazing discoveries about the Egyptian pyramids. Among them:
- Discover a new room: In 2017, an international team announced the discovery of a new cavity in the Great Pyramid using a technique called myography.
- Funerary complex of Pharaoh Djoser: Recent excavations around the step pyramid of Pharaoh Djoser have revealed an extensive funerary complex rich in antiquities.
- Solar boat: A tomb near the Pyramid of Khufu revealed a solar boat used to transport the pharaoh's soul to the afterlife.
How to visit the pyramids of Egypt responsibly
Visiting the Egyptian pyramids is a unique and unforgettable experience. However, it is essential to do so in a respectful and responsible manner. Here are some tips:
- Hire a local guide: Local guides not only know the sites, but they also help support the local economy.
- Respect the site rules: Do not climb the pyramids, do not touch the artifacts, and follow all instructions provided by local authorities.
- Off-season travel: Visiting Egypt during low season not only avoids crowds but also reduces pressure on these fragile sites.
“Unapologetic pop culture trailblazer. Freelance troublemaker. Food guru. Alcohol fanatic. Gamer. Explorer. Thinker.”