Two years after the attacks in Christchurch: New Zealand commemorates the victims

Wellington. On Saturday, New Zealand commemorated 51 people killed in the attacks on mosques in Christchurch two years ago. Several hundred participated in a memorial service in Christchurch Square, which was also broadcast live. The first anniversary event was canceled in a short time due to the Corona pandemic. Prime Minister Jacinda Addirn said March 15, 2019 left an “unambiguous legacy”. “Much of this would be heartbreaking. But it is never too early or too late for a more inclusive nation to be.”

The victim’s widow, Kira Munir, said she lost the love of her life and her spiritual partner that day. “I couldn’t imagine that the next time I see him, body and soul wouldn’t be together. I didn’t know it was the darkest day in New Zealand history. That day my heart shattered into a thousand pieces, just like the hearts of 50 other families.”

Al-Naji: “These were attacks against all of humanity.”

Survivor Temel Atakujogo said the Al Noor mosque massacre was caused by racism and ignorance. “These were attacks on all of humanity,” said Atakujogo, who was wounded by nine bullets. “But the future is in our hands,” he added.

On 15 March 2019, an Australian man shot 44 people at Al Noor Mosque, then shot 7 others at Linwood Mosque during Friday prayers. Last year, the 30-year-old pleaded guilty to 51 cases of murder and 40 attempted murder. He was sentenced to life imprisonment without the possibility of a pardon.

Leave a Reply

Your email address will not be published.