New Zealand is giving up as a health precaution

New Zealand is giving up as a health precaution

She said the New Zealand delegation had abandoned the Paralympics opening ceremony on Tuesday, August 24 (1pm in France or 8pm in Japan) due to coronavirus concerns. Experiencing infection records.

Our team will not attend. At the party because of his own “The rules and guidelines on Covid-19, aim to ensure the greatest possible security” The delegation announced in a statement on Facebook.

Since the start of the pandemic, New Zealand has put in place a “zero Covid” strategy, with strict border controls and targeted confinement, and has recorded just 26 deaths for a population of 5 million.

Should the “zero Covid” strategy be imported into France?

But the country that has not noticed any pollution in six months, finally Since last week, he has been returned to national detention In the face of the spread of the epidemic on its territory, while realizing that its strategy is threatened by the spread of the most contagious type of delta.

Pauline Derulliday, the French champion in wheelchair tennis, is an everlasting woman

Organizers of the Tokyo Paralympic Games, which will run until September 5, have reported 161 cases of Covid-19 linked to the event so far, mostly among staff based in Japan, but also including six athletes.

The only delegation that did not review

International Paralympic Committee spokesman Craig Spence told reporters that New Zealand is the only country among the 162 delegates to the Paralympic Games to have confirmed that it is giving up the opening ceremony.

“We must respect this decision.”He added that the 32 Paralympians had informed him of their desire to take all possible precautions despite the strict health measures already in place.

READ  New Zealand's supremacy puts Trans Tasman's future in jeopardy

The Paralympics will not escape closed doors

Other countries have reduced their participation in the party due to various reasons including Covid-19 or concerns about the heat. “It’s a shame, but we respect it [leur] The decision, besides, will likely shorten the ceremony.”Craig Spence added.

Take advantage of the €1 offer for 3 months with Google

Japan has been experiencing a fifth wave of Covid-19 since June, which has worsened in recent weeks, with New record of infection It was observed nationally on Friday, August 20.

Leave a Reply

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *