Waverley farmer Bill Thurlow left Ellerslie racecourse late this afternoon both relieved and full of anticipation after his super consistent mare Glory Days had added the Gr. 2 Coca-Cola Avondale Cup.Read More
Author: Dennis Ryan
Is it a crisis of confidence for just one person or for the whole apprentice jockey programme? I refer to the news this week that one of the country’s most promising apprentices, Wiremu Pinn, has pulled the pin on a career that promised so much. Fourth on the current season table with 32 wins, the […]
Mercer couple Craig Gray and Christine Wilkinson have a ready reply to the question of how much you need to spend in the hope of a decent racehorse.
$2,000 is the answer, as evidenced not once but twice during their brief involvement as thoroughbred breeders.
It’s not hard to detect the frustration in Bill Gleeson’s voice when discussing last Saturday’s Gr. 1 Herbie Dyke Stakes win by On The Rocks with the boss of Wellfield Lodge.
While only too happy to accept the accolades as the breeder of the tough grey entire, Gleeson moderates any celebrations when he talks of the hard row that not only On the Rocks sire Alamosa has to hoe, but also where operations such as his belong in the breeding industry.
- Nakeeta Jane steps up for NewnhamBy Caryl WilliamsonIn GallopsFebruary 17, 2019Mark Newnham may have lost Group One winner Maid Of Heaven for the autumn but he still has plenty of ammunition in the fillies' ranks including Nakeeta Jane, who has stamped her Oaks claims with victory in the Light Fingers Stakes. […]
- Headache mare plays it cool at OamaruBy Jonny TurnerIn Featured, Harness, NewsFebruary 17, 2019One Over Da Skye strides out for an impressive win at […]
- Boyd well placed to continue stellar season at WintonBy Jonny TurnerIn Featured, Harness, NewsFebruary 17, 2019Virginia Cool posted one of the nine wins trainer […]
- Handicapper to decide Newmarket start for In Her TimeBy Craig BrennanIn GallopsFebruary 16, 2019The handicapper will have a bearing on whether In Her Time chases a second Melbourne Group One sprint after a fighting victory in the Lightning Stakes at Flemington. […]
- Cassidy and Cahill in Doomben quinella ahead of NZ assignmentsBy Mark OberhardtIn GallopsFebruary 16, 2019Brisbane jockeys Larry Cassidy and Michael Cahill hope their quinella at Doomben today is an omen for when they clash again in a New Zealand Group One race next week. […]
- Winx back as dominant as ever in Apollo strollBy Caryl WilliamsonIn Featured, GallopsFebruary 16, 2019Any thoughts Winx might not be as good or not as fast as she was, too old at seven or vulnerable over 1400 metres were scotched at Randwick today in just under 81 seconds as the great mare notched her 30th consecutive win in the Apollo Stakes. […]
- Vanity quinella for former Weir fillies Amphitrite and Verry ElleegantBy Craig BrennanIn GallopsFebruary 16, 2019Lindsay Park senior trainer David Hayes is looking forward to the month ahead with stable newcomer Amphitrite following a first-up win in the Vanity at Flemington today. […]